in

Police Say Man Who Left Kids Alone At McDonald’s Wasn’t Really At A Job Interview

McDonalds
Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times

A Georgia father who gained national attention—and tens of thousands in donations—after claiming he left his children alone at a McDonald’s to attend a job interview is now facing serious scrutiny after police say the story wasn’t true.

Chris Louis, 24, was arrested on March 22 in Augusta, Georgia, after allegedly abandoning his three young children—ages 1, 6, and 10—for over 90 minutes inside a McDonald’s. His explanation? He said he had to attend a job interview and had no one to watch the kids.

That version of events quickly went viral, drawing widespread sympathy. Former NFL wide receiver Antonio Brown even launched a GoFundMe campaign on Louis’s behalf, raising more than $78,000 in just a matter of days. But according to law enforcement, the story doesn’t hold up.

Following a thorough investigation, the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office says Louis was not, in fact, attending a job interview at the time he left the children alone. Surveillance footage and eyewitness accounts showed that while Louis had submitted a job application and briefly spoke with someone at a nearby business earlier in the day, he was not participating in a formal or ongoing interview during the time in question.

Instead, police say Louis spent the time delivering a backpack and searching for a lost ID—far from the narrative of a desperate father trying to land a job to support his family.

Louis has been charged with misdemeanor deprivation of a minor, with authorities emphasizing the potential risk his children faced being left unsupervised in a public place for such a long period. Investigators also confirmed that the youngest child, just a year old, had a soiled diaper when they arrived—further raising concerns about neglect.

The case has sparked a heated public debate. While some continue to defend Louis as a struggling father caught in a bad situation, others are calling for accountability—especially after public donations poured in based on what now appears to be a misleading narrative.

Questions are also mounting over whether the GoFundMe money should be returned or frozen. As of now, there has been no official word from the platform regarding potential action.

This incident is a stark reminder of how quickly public perception can be shaped by emotion, especially in an era of viral fundraising and online storytelling. But for law enforcement and child welfare officials, the bottom line remains unchanged: children were left alone in a vulnerable situation, and no amount of spin changes that fact.

As the legal process moves forward, the focus will remain on the safety of the children and the accountability of the parent who left them behind—not the viral narrative that followed.